07-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #25
cloverfield
German car enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, Alfa Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4T View Post
Not sure if it's significant here or not but I recently watch a youtube video that had an M5 that'd basically been driven around a bodyshop for 18 months whilst it had extensive repair work done. Once finished the owner then noticed excessive oil consumption and poor running. The long and short of it was that fuel had contaminated the oil which was assumed to be caused by the rich running when cold and it never got up to proper temperatures.

I'm wondering if lots of these failures are somehow related? I.e. lots of short journeys which result in reduced oil quality which then goes on to lead to failures.

Or is my train of thinking flawed?
Trying to understand this - is the thinking that the cold start/rich conditions/short drives over time would cause unburned fuel to get past the rings and into the oil?

Is there a certain oil temp range that helps get rid fuel in the oil? I've heard short drives can cause water condensation to build up and if the oil temp doesn't get past 100C/212F then it never evaporates, but how does this work if there's fuel in the oil as well?
Appreciate 0