View Single Post
      08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #83
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller View Post
This has me really re-thinking my decision. Have "14M5 LCI on order. Drove a 991 S PDK and manual over the weekend (much preferred PDK BTW, just made the car seem more fun). Just like has already been said. Every time I drive it I dismiss it, but then I always come back, the itch is there. I acknowledged to myself that it is not a car that you can get to know on a test drive. Have to take out for some time to really get a sense for it. To me it's a risk, I give up some of the creature comforts of a large luxury car but the nimble/connectedness could make the risk pay off. I have definitely been aware of the 4300 pounds lately.
This is EXACTLY how I felt. Even the day before I bought it. Felt like I might get "bored" or have regrets and miss my M5. There was always SOMETHING pulling back in. Look at my posts on the board making fun of Vic and Henry and how slow and boring their Porsches were. Then I sort of started to figure out the car and what it was about (and how to drive it). I always said "the car fees like it is holding back" but I now realize that it was not. It is just a different feel. That flat six is just tightly engaged to the PDK and you feel it with the motor right behind you. I am telling you, there is NOTHING like running this car hard and hearing it roar in high revs. You just are so connected to this thing and it is ridiculously flat on turns. I drive it now and I realize that I had forgotten what is was like to have a "sports car" that can just fly through anything. Honestly, it feels like you are driving a little track car all the time-EXCEPT that it has plenty of luxury while retaining simplicity. The 991 IMO is a PERFECT car. I got so used to my M5 that I convinced myself that it was not "heavy" and that I could feel what the car was doing "just fine" and that people commenting on how BMW has lost it's direction with the M5/M6 in going with these bigger chassis and all the luxuries weighing the car down were nuts-I was WRONG. Takes about two days and it really hits you.

Best way to get yourself to really know this car is to tell the sales person that you are going to need several rides in the car to get over your "torque fever" and to truly learn how this car behaves. I completely got it when the sales guy threw me the keys and I took off for 30-45 mins alone. I beat it up good and flew through a sweeping curve several times at very high speed and I just fell in love. Keep those RPMs over 5K and you will be completely one with this sucker as that glorious naturally aspirated motor hums behind you! And also-LOOK AT IT!

Last edited by ColdList; 08-30-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0