05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiceman View Post
Does anyone have information on the yellow calipers? They look so much better than the blue calipers with the Singapore grey. I noticed them on 2 of the frames in the 360 degree view. My friend noticed they came up with the HUD option but it seems like the 20" wheel option gets it to show yellow as well????
The calipers are gold, and (like Porsche) you only get them if you option carbon ceramics, which requires 20" wheels. For some reason that option STILL hasn't been put back into the configurator for the M5, M6 Coupe, or M6 Vert -- I wonder if they've been disallowed for ordering as well? In any case, they cost $8700 if you're curious. If the caliper colors change with other colors or options, that's a glitch in the configurator. Personally I wouldn't get carbon ceramics even if they were free. Except for longer brake replacement intervals and practically zero brake dust, carbon ceramics are either a neutral or worse option compared to steel for a road car (and even lots of track junkies on the Porsche side have switched back to steel from carbon ceramics), and I think they could actually hurt resale value from future owners not wanting to deal with enormous brake replacement costs. Porsche's carbon ceramics option costs about the same as BMW's, and at replacement time their front rotors are $4K -- each. And no, BMW's carbon ceramics won't be covered under Ultimate Service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiceman View Post
Looks like all the colors are working now, and [Sakhir exterior] looks amazing!
Yes it does, in the configurator, but after seeing it in person on an M6 and seeing the renders on an M5 posted somewhere around here, I think it'd be one of those options that looks amazing at first sight and wears on you pretty fast.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-21-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0