05-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #133
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
When I was 16 I was stopped going 130 in a 65MPH Zone on the interstate in the Desert near Palm Springs at 3am in my Camaro Z28. Road was empty. I was going around 90 With a Black Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am. Then I pulled away. CHP was following us with his driving lights only so did not see him, CHP cars back then only did about 100 so he did not catch up until I slowed down. Only reason he did not take me to Jail was he did not want to drive me 70 miles to the nearest Juvi jail. Judge suspended my license for 6 weeks. I was lucky it was not longer. I told him I had a job and needed to drive to work. I had 2 tickets at ages 12 & 14 for driving a Motorcycle without a license so the judge was not thrilled with me. It was classified as Wreckless Driving and stayed on my driving record for 7 Years !! Same as a DUI !! These days they would probably take a 16 year old's license away for at least 2 years, if not more for that.
This similar to mine. I was 17 and had a 61 TR3 back in 1973 and I was racing a friend who had a 59. We were on hwy 146 which splits and I had beat him to the split and took the newer part. I thought he had followed me as there were some lights behind me, I was doing top end on the car which was 105 and the speed limit was 70, this was before double nickels were everywhere. Anyway, all of a sudden the lights turned into cherries and I about crapped my pants. I stopped and got out of the car and explained I had been racing my friend, no on else was around at the time. The DPS guy said he saw my friend take the old part of the road but he was already driving on the newer part. He let me off with a warning due to the fact he was headed home for dinner.

I have always been careful about when and where I speed. There are lots of places in Texas you can do it without any worry of a cop if you know where to go. Cops aren't everywhere and they sure aren't out on most of the back roads such as FMxxx. Generally those roads are paved well enough to hit the limiter on the M5. I think for the most part the speed limit laws are about generating revenue and not improving road safety.
Appreciate 0