05-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #139
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
If you are the only soul on a deserted road at 2am and you want to do 200mph and run the risk of killing just yourself, then it's all good in my opinion.
the safest way to join the 200 MPH club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
OK, my turn... It was 1981, I was driving my brand new Maserati and the "Bill Walsh" song came on the radio... "My Maserati does 185, I lost my license now I can't drive"

I wondered... How fast will the car really go? I was about 50 miles east of Kansas City on Interstate 70. A very flat very long stretch of road.

As the speedo passed 150, I let my foot off the gas, just too fast for me. Way off in the distance I saw a car coming my way. He flipped on his lights when we were about 1/4 mile apart.

For a moment I thought... No way he can catch me and I floored it.

My plan was to take the first exit then head left which would have been North. As the on-ramp approached I stepped on the brakes. The ABS kicked in BIG TIME, this was my first car with ABS. Smoke screeching, it was going to be a fast left turn. That's when I saw the cop car sideways blocking the exit.

That's when I learned the lesson "You Can't Outrun Motorola". He gave me five citations. Speeding, Flight, Reckless Driving, Public Endangerment, Resisting Arrest. Put me in the back of the squad car.

At the Highway patrol station I posted a $50,000 bond with my Montgomery Wards Club Card.

When I got to court, turns out the Judge was an old business acquaintance of mine. He took one look at me and said "I told you that car was going to be trouble". I had no idea he was a judge, I though he was an attorney in town.

"Case dismissed! If I see you in here again you're going to jail for a long time" he said as he banged the gavel.

That's my story... Don't speed unless a judge knows you!

jeff

Damn I was a newborn back then.....wow awesome story I am sure it would have ended differently today though.
Appreciate 0