View Single Post
      10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Price justification for M6 coupe over M5 sedan?

I'm new to BMW and stretching my budget just to get into an M5, but when I look at the M6 coupe and its specs compared to the M5, I wonder how the $16,000 price increase is deserved? Styling is beautiful, the wheelbase is 4" shorter which should translate into slightly sharper handling, and its weight is a few hundred pounds less from the aluminum doors (plus the carbon composite roof I suppose). But wouldn't a four door car be more difficult to manufacture? There is no moonroof available for the M6, while that is standard on the M5. The performance figures are very close, so where does the increase in price come from? Perhaps just traditionally the 6 series has always been a better performer, or more fully loaded with extras to justify the cost? Now it seems there isn't much to separate it from the M5 other than the coupe configuration, and that just isn't enough for me. Would a coupe badged as an M5 be that much more expensive? Maybe there are hidden advantages to the M6 coupe that I don't know about, if so please tell me about them.
Appreciate 0