View Single Post
      03-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Captain Stubing
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Had my first warning to add a quart in 125 miles, I was at 6750 miles, only other change/add of oil was at the 1200 mile service (which happened at 1204 miles). Of course this happens 400 miles from home on the weekend, so picked up some of the Castrol at auto parts store.

Here is where the PSA comes in, although most folks may be aware or wary of dealership servicing.

Stopped by the my local BMW dealership to see if I could pick up a quart to stick in the trunk. Told him it was a 2013 M5. Guy comes out and said here ya go, all M's are notorious for burning some oil and hands me the gold Castrol 10w-60 bottle. I then tell him that isn't the correct stuff, that the even the manual calls for 0w-30, 0w-40 acceptable alternative being 5w-30 or 5w-40.

He then proceeds to tell me that all M's for all of time have used the 10w-60, to which I stated that may be true, but that isn't the case for the 2013 M5. I then asked if the 10w-60 was what they used for servicing the F10 M5's, to which he said, yep, sure do. At that point I told him Thank God you didn't do the break in service on mine, and won't be doing future servicing of it.

After a few more banters back and forth, he then tells me to hang on a minute and went to the back to double check. After about 5 maybe 10 minutes he reappears with a bottle of the BMW 5w-30 and is apologizing quite heavily, stating that everyone learns something new everyday. To which I replied, I hope you guys take care of any M's that required something different than the 10w-60. He stated that he would personally be going back through the service records to see what was done.

So long story short, if you aren't confident or don't know your Service Advisor, ask what oil they will be using and if it were me ask again and see the note on the service order for the right stuff.

Sorry for the long winded post. Was just shocked that he was so confident that he was in the right.
Appreciate 0