Thread: M5 On Fire
View Single Post
      05-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

I have to say I am very surprised at all of the outrage over this. Not necessarily the OP but other comments on this and other posts. I agree BMW should have maybe been a little more forthcoming but would not have expected them to provide a loaner or replacement or really do anything much differently than they did.

The process actually works the other way around as stated above. The insurance company pays then does the investigation if they think it's necessary or want to recover their money. It is the same with houses, cars, boats, and everything else it is up to them to determine if it was arson, something you ran over, a defect, damage, faulty brake pad, maintenance (lack there of) or whatever.

Even if it was determined that something was faulty and caused a house fire for example as above it is still the insurance that pays the builder does not investigate what happened nor do they just build you a new house and give you a new place to stay while he is investigating? Could come down to anything once the investigation is complete? Faulty appliance, gas fitting, etc then who gets you the new house? Whirlpool?

If they had investigated and determined it was a faulty brake pad that had been changed at scheduled service who pays then the dealer? Brake pad manufacturer?

When so many Ferraris were catching fire I am sure Ferrari did not provide a loaner or replacement car immediately and take the hit until they figured out what happened but I could be wrong. I would imagine this was handled through insurance as well.

When Toyota throttles were sticking the insurance paid and investigated. then after there were so many accident claims saying the same thing the NHTSA got involved and forced the investigation and recall. Toyota did not give everyone a new car and loaner.

I am very sorry for your experience and happy you and your family are safe but if in the event god forbid you or your family would have been injured or even died it would have been insurance which paid the hospital bills, life insurance etc then I am sure if the investigation proved BMW at fault I am sure would get sued by someone. BMW would not just pay the bills etc until a thorough investigation was done.

I would not have even thought to go the BMWNA route expecting answers or compensation unless for some reason my insurance denied the claim then would have been forced to take legal action.

Same as if I am driving home tonight and have a blowout and total it who am I going to call or take it to? BMW? Michelin? No I will call my insurance company explain what happened and go from there. That's what insurance is for.
Appreciate 0