View Single Post
      07-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Ziff73
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Drivetrain Malfunction after driving through water...grrr

long story short, lots of rain in a short period of time last night. I was driving on street and went through an area of water that was relatively high.

Car made it through ok and i immediately pulled into a restaurant to wait out storm. when i got back into the car an hour later i noticed the check engine light was on.

on the way home i noticed a slight hesitation when revving and i got a drivetrain malfunction error. by the time i got home the error was gone, but the check engine light was still on.

a few hours later i went to check on the car and see how it was doing. car seemed to drive better. i could get to higher rpms/speed without the hesitation. however i still got a drivetrain error (at a higher speed, but below highway speed). on the way home the error went away again.

the next morning, i went to drive to dealership for diagnosis. on the highway i was able to get up to speed without any hesitation or error. however when i goosed it in M2 mode (my default aggressive mode) and revved pretty high i got the error again.

made it to the dealership without any other issue and by the time i got there, the drivetrain error was gone.

Does it sound like water got into the engine? or could it be the air filter is clogged/wet and the car could not get enough air in the turbos?

it seems to be rectifying itself? thoughts?

thanks for not flaming me in my time of distress!
Appreciate 0