stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
My sources seems to be credible, although he hasn't responded directly back to me to answer my questions yet.

My source states that he is practically best friends with either the owner or some high level person who works for the BMW M Performance Division and that he actually rode in his F10 M5 with the tune on it, and because of his relationship with this employee is able to get the tune on his brand new F10 M5 within the next couple of weeks. He just purchased his M5 last week. My source lives in Marietta, GA. Is this where the BMW M Performance Division is located? Or perhaps somewhere close to there? My source has also stated that he is going to pay $5,000 for just the tune. Not a bad price for 640hp /590tq and your warranty not being voided!
Dave - your description of the M Performance Division seems completely off.

M Performance products are made by BMW M Gmbh. BMW is the owner. And BMW is located in Germany. M Performance Products come from Germany. Not from Georgia.

Now I do know that there is a tuning shop in Alpharetta, GA, Performing Imports that told me they have an upgraded exhaust from Boysen (BMWs exhaust supplier for the OEM M5 exhaust) with BMW stampings on it and also BMW high flow cats. He said the exhaust includes downpipes and mid pipes, but use the same OEM tailpipes. This product was apparently developed by Boysen in Germany and is distributed through Noelle Motors - a German distributor who supplies it to Performing Imports in Georgia. He also said they have access to BMW Development software for the M5 through some back channel and they can tune it. Anyone who analyses the ECU will see BMW signature in the code.

However - this is not a BMW M Performance product. It is a gray market product from BMWs suppliers with some prototype software from BMW. It is not sold by BMW and does not have any warranty coverage from BMW.

So this isn't an M Performance Product. If BMW decides to make it an M Performance product then it would be distributed with M Performance branding and sold through BMW dealers with BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0