View Single Post
      02-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'm not sure about any boost loss during a transition from AWD to RWD mode but here's what I do know.

Yes you can switch from AWD to RWD on the fly while driving fast in forward motion however there are some catches. What you can do is program the M1 button for the AWD Sport mode which will be RWD biased. After the initial roll on acceleration as would occur in a roll race situation, one can then press the M2 button which has been preprogrammed for RWD Mode. The catch is that in order to configure RWD Mode you must turn off DSC completely. And like the F10 M5 M1 and M2 button operation if you configure either of those buttons for DSC OFF you have to press twice to confirm. Therefore in the F90 you will lose a precious second while switching between the 2 M buttons because you will need to press the M2 twice in order to confirm DSC OFF for the RWD Mode. I'm sure one can practice pressing button twice as fast as you can but there will always be a delay because of the inherent design of the system.

I think the best thing to do for roll racing the F90 in the future would be to just keep the car in AWD Sport Mode. In this mode it will try to send as little power to the front wheels as it can.

But yes with AWD systems there will be drivetrain losses in power. It's a trade off.

I look forward to seeing the F90 square off against some of the fastest cars on the planet in the future.

Agree RWD bias is essentially what the GTR is doing. You are using the AWD when needed and less and less as you go. I think you're far better off using the biased option but having that dash of AWD to help, than trying to drive, switch between buttons, whatever hiccup or delay that causes with the computer.

And at 70 mph, in warm temperatures if the tires are already warmed up, unless you just have trouble controlling a RWD car it should be perfectly fine staying straight. Maybe when you start hitting 700whp+ with summer tires where the tires are the limiting factor where you need that little bit of AWD. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine.
Appreciate 0