09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #33
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
For a "one car" solution, the M5 cannot be beaten. That said, everyone needs to own a 911, so you might as well get that out of your system. I have a 997 Turbo and I rarely drive it. I'm not super eager to upgrade to 991 Turbo when they come out in a year or so--- the cars are moving in wrong direction, IMHO.

Although I stand by statement that everyone needs a 911 (ideally a turbo) at least once in your life, for a *sports car* I think the Cayman is better.

So: F10 M5, unless you feel that it is time to scratch the 911 itch. For a two car configuration, consider the F10 M5 and a used Cayman S. Can prob get both for less money than a 911 Turbo....
I am really pumped about the new Cayman might bring back some of the more key driver feedback that was lost in the 997-991 transition. Was thinking of giving the Boxster a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel88 View Post
Love the itch analogy The other choice was a 08 997 turbo, less than $100k but again besides for the fierce looks, the car does nothing else for me. It is WAY too much car. My M3 is already too much for public roads, which is why I am leaning to basic 991.
I tested a base 991 for a good hour - fantastic car but not sure how it stacks up to an M3. The nice thing about Porsche is they have stock and you can get into an 911 for a good drive. I find test driving an ///M car to be much harder as dealers get so few and are reluctant to turn any of them into demos for long term testing.

Whatever you do make sure to try the 7MT - it is the best in the business.