View Single Post
      06-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #64
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

I've chosen manual transmissions on most of my vehicles over the years. Last year I started having back pain, and I discovered pushing the clutch in with my left leg exacerbated the issue. I sold my '07 335 and bought a '11 335is with DCT. While I occasionally miss the manual, the DCT has served my needs/desires well. For the manual enthusiasts out there (and I considered myself one), you need to drive the DCT for a few days in different situations before judging. The M5 (or most likely the M6) is on my short list for my next car, and I will go with the DCT.

Manual enthusiasts are getting older, and their needs/desires are changing. I suspect there are many more like me out there, and they are moving towards DCT type transmissions. The younger enthusiast crowd has never known a world without super-fast sport automatic transmissions (think EVO). Add to the fact that in most other markets having an automatic transmission is seen as upscale, and you have a recipe for the end of manual transmissions.

Andrew
2010 Honda Civic LX
Appreciate 0