Thread: Need more road
View Single Post
      06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

See, that is exactly what I am talking about. Now of course I am sure there are some that would perfectly argue that your behavior was the actual wrongdoing (attempt to pass on the right, passing in oncoming traffic, assuming that it was a no-passing zone which is typically the case with two lanes both directions).

To resolve this conflict of provoking dangerous driving though ignorance or stubbornness, on the German Autobahn (in very specific cases) that driver could actually held accountable for coercion.

But anyway, I find the more interesting aspect: What are these drivers thinking. My guess

a) They are not thinking at all. For the past 25 miles they haven't even used any of their rear view mirrors

b) They see you but think "I am already going 5 mph above speed limit so obviously he has no business in going even faster".

This latter one is obviously the one that ticks us off and I really don't understand the psyche in it. It's obviously none of that drivers business how fast I go and how many laws I possibly break. Can some of the psychologists on this board please explain??

And also a question for the board: What is an acceptable practice to make a driver on the left lane aware of the fact that you want to pass? What are the levels of escalation? I usually approach fast but keep a very safe generous distance (at the very least "half" the speed on your odo in yards). Then I first wait and wait and wait. If really nothing happens, I turn on my left blinker. If that doesn't do after a while I highbeam, no more than two short flashes, max. twice. If all of that doesn't work, I give up. As a principle, I don't pass on the right as you never know how stupid other drivers are and it's just too dangerous. So again, what is an acceptable code of conduct here?

Last edited by (H); 06-24-2013 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0