View Single Post
      05-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #91
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Interesting. For me it is a big decrease in handling because I like to move the car at the limit here and there and understeer is the worst thing to have I think. I remember when I was on the racetrack with the R8 V10, I mean it was fast, but only while driving it at like 85-90%. Once you really pushed it, it was pretty terrible with all that understeer. Not that enjoyable to me. And since BMW M is for purists I just believe in that RWD, best dynamics kind of philosophy.

I mean I am pretty sure if they offer AWD, it will be an option, which seems okay. However, I'd be pissed if I meet another M5 on the street that kicks my ass on a little acceleration run lol.

I just feel that all the companies are losing their uniqueness and are all moving towards being the same thing. BMW M got more comfortable and AMG got a little sportier and more Dynamic and Audi is filling that little gap inbetween. They all lost their characters a bit

Anyways... Enough trolling lol.

Thanks for your pov though. I really was looking for a serious answer.
I'll bite & add my tuppence worth

Market forces are going to drive what M decide to do with next M5 - it is a niche product (compromise between of sports & luxury) and we are a subset of owners, however, M5 is primarily a road car, so demands from current owners & offerings from competition will dictate M's decision on AWD.

Also, Quattro may have a reputation for understeer, but xdrive does not and I would expect M GmbH to breathe some magic on 'their' version of xdrive. In making this product a commercial success, the majority of road users are going to want real world cross country ability, not limit handling, and that's where AWD can have it's advantages in providing confidence in changing conditions. If I wanted to predominately track a road car, I would buy a more track focused car (991 GT3, etc.) in trade for some of the refinement the M5 offers.

I cannot understand why optional AWD should be an issue for perspective owners - a conscious decision will be made as to whether or not your driving style/environment warrants AWD or not. As to 'little acceleration runs', there are always bigger fish (be it cars or drivers).

Do you get the impression that I'm in the 'tick xdrive checkbox' camp

If you still think 'M is for purists' I would advise looking forward to a possible replacement for M3 GTS or another brand rather than next gen M5.

And last but not least, I agree with your comment regarding 'divergence' to a point (Ms, AMGs & RSs still have there own distinct character, what isn't so encouraging is the need for platform sharing within BMW, Mercedes & VAG to reduce costs), however, market forces at play again - it will be interesting to see the sales figures for Manual F10 M5s (coupled with any increase in liabilities to BMW, i.e. associated warranty claims) - I'd hazard a guess that that 'purists' option may also go the way of the Dodo...

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-14-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0