10-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #140
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Stop fighting it. There is no noticeable lag. Get over it.
Sarcasm? There is lag, it has been reported in tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
+1. I drive 2 cars almost every day, one with n55, the other n54 engine. There is no noticeable lag.
The 335i's I have driven have reduced lag compared to most older turbo systems. It is however easily noticeable. You are kidding yourself if you feel it is not noticeable. Go drive an M3 and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I am speaking from experience going from an e90 M3 to a 1M. The throttle response is not quite as instantaneous but it should not to be confused as turbo lag. The difference is is unnoticeable unless you drive the cars back to back. Also, the power comes on so strong even as low as 1800rpm that it makes up for the fraction of a second you miss from not having individual throttle body response.
I disagree, turbo lag is the biggest culprit in a lack of throttle response. It causes poor throttle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
A lot of people complaining about lag are merely pretending to be "purist" thinking that it makes them look "real drivers." In reality, it's nothing more than a resistance to change.
Look I will be the 1st to admit that the F10 M5 will outperform the E60 M5 is every way that matters. The same will be repeated for the F3X M3 vs. the E9X M3. I'm also quite keen for the greatly improved fuel efficiency. Also, as much as I often disagree with those obsessed with low rpm torque, that too will be an improvement for these FI M cars.

That being said lag and throttle response absolutely matter. Excellent throttle response:
  • Contributes to the ease of control during under/oversteer throttle balancing
  • Increases absolute performance (just like DCT trannies have real world impacts on performance)
  • Assists in overtaking - track or street
  • Provides more excitement. Let's not forget the important role of feel and emotion in driving - it is more than just the raw numbers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0