04-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmill
Great discussion, keep it going. Tank you for pointing out the other thread.I was invited last year to attend the Indy M5 event. Having dinner with the lead M5 engineer his view was the carbon brakes were more of a marketing dept. request than a need for 90% on the M5 owners. His comments were when cold the steel brakes are actually better and the carbon brakes shine the hotter and harder the use.

So I have bought into the BMW marketing machine but for that "cold" comment that stick's in my head. I know he was talking about brake temp and not outside temp but just wondering if there is a relation.

On one hand I have no need for C.C. brakes on the other hand I need these C.C.brakes.
Well the colder it is out the cooler your brakes will generally run and cool down so based on what the engineer is saying steel probably gives you better performance in your really cold winters. Do you like the looks of the gold brakes more or the 'potential' performance from the ceramic brakes? Or maybe just the bragging rights . I know I'd enjoy that if I could afford it easily.
Appreciate 0