10-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #49
Slpnbyu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
Interesting review; however, as a fellow attendee of the event, I disagree with some of the information.

1. The center console is not cheap plastic. It is the same finish as what is found in the current E9.X M3.

2. There is no appreciable turbo lag. I was in the morning session at Ascari and managed to get four laps in with the M5 before the rain arrived (my first stint was in the 1M on a dry track, but let's stay on topic here). When the right stick on the floor meets the carpet this car goes and it goes fast. The power delivery is very smooth across the RPM range where as the M3 gets that powerband-like kick around 6K RPM.

3. I agree the car is heavy, but you don't notice the weight until you go to stand on the brakes. As should be expected, plan on more time than the M3 to slow her down before the turn-in; afterall, you'll be going faster on top of the extra weight. The tires (PS2s) were the limiting factor in the equation when it came to stopping power.

4. In the turns the car felt surprisingly similar to the M3. The biggest difference in the turns was the need for smooth throttle control. This is not a stomp it at the apex and go car, unless your intent is to go around in a loop. The torque comes on early and it comes on hard, pay attention and keep it smooth.

5. With regard to slip angle while in M Mode, the degree to which it will let you get loose is very similar to M Mode in the M3; it will catch you, physics not withstanding.

Overall, it was a fun car to drive and the ///M group knows how to host an event, no expenses spared. Get out and drive this car when you can; it will leave you with a grin!

@Stealth.Pilot - thanks for stepping up and switching from the heli group in the morning to the drive group.
/// '04 E46 M3 : Mystic Blue/Black /// SOLD
/// '00 E46 323Ci : Titanium Silver/Grey /// SOLD

Last edited by Slpnbyu; 10-26-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0