ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The main purpose of Break-In is to ensure longetivity of the components of the high performance vehicle. The parts that usually are broken in are the:

-Engine
-Transmission
-Differential

They will usually change the oil and the fluid of these components during the Break-In Service. Some manufacturers use a special kind of oil or fluid for Break-In also. The reason for this is because when an engine, tranmission, or differential is brand new, all of the moving parts haven't gotten a chance to fit and form to each other over time. So there can be a little bit of rubbing and chaffing that goes on, producing tiny metal particles that would be present in the oil and fluids. This is why they change them during the Break-In Servicing.

Additionally, now that cars are becoming more computerized, the software for the engine and other components may be programmed to keep the car from exceeding certain limits, such as rpms and/or speed.

The best advice I ever got concerning the Break-In is to just not let the vehicle sustain long periods of constant rpms and speeds. The vehicle components need a high degree of variation in rpm in order to form the best bonds internally. Basically, don't drive for long periods of time on the highway with your cruise control set to 65mph. Work that engine, work those components, but try to stay within the limits as much as you can.

I once had an E60 M5 that had an S85 engine shit itself on me. When I got my new engine in, my tech just told me what I just said in the previous paragraph. I ended up breaking in that engine by taking the car over 200mph during the RE-Break-In period for the new engine. After the Break-In Service the engine performed beautifully.

As for the F10 M5 in particular, I don't know for fact, but based on those descriptions of those people in Europe and the rest of the world who have had the Break-In Service complete, I'm pretty sure that the BMW Dealership changes the engines ECU software whereby full horsepower and torque are now available. Don't quote me on that, but that's the impression I've gotten after reading so many experiences.

As a side note, I plan on covering the required 1,200 miles during my Euro Delivery experience and I have already arranged for a BMW dealership in Germany to complete my Break-In Service, so that I may take my F10 M5 to the Nurburgring fully broken in. You only live once.
Appreciate 0