View Single Post
      12-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #40
ayu910
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp4 View Post
The only thing I wish M5 would have (and Panamera Turbo has it) is 4 wheel drive. It would be very useful for Chicago. I met BMW M engineers at Munich when I picked up M5 and asked about all wheel drive. They said they are not even considering it because you cannot achieve a balance of a sport car with 4 wheel drive. When I asked if they feel that Porsche 911 Turbo had good sports car balance, they had nothing to answer. After all they've built X5M and it has all wheel drive. Anyway, I already put my snow tires on my M5 and will live with rear wheel drive till the option shows up in a sedan. 550xi is a great car that I test drove, but it is not an M5, and it is not just image for me.
It would be nice to have a front engine M5 with the “correct” AWD system similar to Panamera 4’s or GT-R, which is RWD based. Can’t count the AWD system in the Adui’s since those are all FWD based so there is a lot of disadvantage. Can’t count the 911 since it is a rear engine setup which naturally a RWD with additional transfer case to power the front. To have similar AWD system like Panamera or GT-R it would require additional parts that need to be light weight, which means $$$. Interior space will need to be compromise to accommodate relocation of transmission or transfer case. There is a reason Panamera and GT-R can only offer 2 seats in the back with limited space. Sure, M can engineer a M5 AWD with the “correct” setup but cost most likely will be similar to a Panamera Turbo S with reduction in interior space.

Basically, nothing is free come to laws of physics.

2014 550i GT M Sport Alpine White
Appreciate 0