04-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413
Good afternoon/evening folks,

I went for a 150km Sunday afternoon drive today. (Cruising speed, didn't push the car) On the way home, about 50km away, the orange engine light came on silently. I stopped at a gas station checking things up. Fuel door was tight and sealed. Checked with idrive and shows system all OK. The light remained on after restarting the car a couple of times. I read the owner's manual book and the only thing I could get was "emission Canadian mode", nothing else. Therefore, I proceed to call BMW assist and described to what happened. The rep said I could keep driving as long as it doesn't turn red and will visit a local BMW service center tomorrow for that error.

Is there a way to read out the error code like I could in the E9X? Makes me wonder what caused the light to come on, especially I didn't get any audio warning like I used to get in the other BMWs. 2 weeks ago when the car needed 1L of oil, I did get any audio warning along with a message showing on the display.

Any thoughts guys?
How much gas was in your tank at the time you stopped at the gas station?

When you run the car low on gas, it's not very good for the fuel pump and components, and can yield a CEL (check engine light).

If you added fuel and the light went away after the car had time to reset, then you should be fine. This means it's not an O2 sensor or other emissions malfunction.. most likely it happened simply due to fueling up with an almost empty tank.