View Single Post
      06-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
You do have a valid point Stealth. Some, if not all of the replacement parts costs are very costly. I think it still may be relatively hit or miss with modern day BMW's as far as reliability goes. It seems like with BMW's made today, the engineering is there to make longevity exist, but BMW can't always control 100% quality of the parts that they put into their cars. The Engine Oil Pump, being the perfect example. It was simply a manufacturing defect in the oil pumps in a batch of pumps made by an outside supplier of the part to BMW. Although BMW has very good Quality Assurance of parts and pieces, they won't catch everything. The design of the oil pump was sound, it was just a lapse in the manufacturing process that resulted in a bad part making it's way into a production car. The same can be said of any car manufacturer though.

Some M5 owners have had a multitude of problems, mostly electrical gremlins though, while others (like me) haven't had so much as a flat tire yet. I think that for the medium term (up until 100,000 miles), if one gets an extended warranty to 100,000 miles, we should be fine with keeping the car. Past 100,000 miles, who knows, by that time though, the next generation Gxx M5 will be out on the street most likely. Like I said, no one knows yet how reliable this F10 M5 will be once it gets past 50,000 miles. Seems like something always breaks on BMW the older they get, but there are definitely many BMW's that have been made that have made it to 150 - 200,000 miles without anything breaking.

I honestly can't decide yet if I'm going to keep this M5 past 100,000 miles or not. I made it 90,000 on my previous E60 M5. I really like M6's too, but for that kind of money I'd almost rather get an Audi R8. Many more choices will be out on the market in a few years time as well. These are definitely high quality problems. Lol!
Yeah I agree, I think its just gonna come down to luck and numbers. If its worth it in the end that will be awesome. I guess its a decision were all gonna have to make. So the question is, who is gonna crack 50k or 100k first . I will crack 45k at the end of my lease. And Frozen yas marina blue would be epic.
Appreciate 0