11-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
That's the beauty of having choice ... ;-)
I'd argue that in some cases depending on how/where you buy items you might actually be closer on price than you think.
But as you said each their own and I'd not generalize and assume people buy M5s or
accessories just to show off their money and egos. Else one should buy the Fleur de Lis Wheels from Graf Weckerle ...
I think my post came across the wrong way and perhaps I was venting a bit based partly on the pics of that car from Europe (gold, really?!) and that I've just been fortunate (or unfortunate!) to have witnessed a few F10 M5 deliveries recently. Lots of adjectives come to mind - none really nice. Maybe it's the area here? I don't know.

It just seems like almost every person I've talked to locally taking ownership of one of these cars is doing it for the badge and not the "soul" of the car. The most recent - a frozen white owned by a complete douchenozzle - actually gave me the waterfall look when he saw me standing next to my car. Adding insult to injury, he proceeded to mention that I "must make a good living" to afford the car. When I told him I paid for it cash, he shut up. But not until after he mentioned that he's going with DPE wheels, AC Schnitzer aero and the Akrapovic exhaust. When I asked why, he said they're the most expensive parts one can buy so they have to be the best.

Not the first time. Maybe I need a new dealer to hang out at.

As for price, I paid $6K for the Akrapovic - before I cancelled. Didn't think it was that bad, really. Just wasn't a fan of it or the carbon tips. They look bizarre to me. Not in a bad sense, just in a sense that they don't flow with the design in my opinion.