08-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #51
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
That was then, people bought cars because they were good, not because they were special (bragging rights). BTW the S54 in the E46 M3, especially in the CSL configuration in my opinion is far more special than any V8 BMW engine. V8's are so overused.

BTW #2, the M54 and S54 were completely different beasts, just like the M62/S62, the displacements were different, the redline was higher, etc. Even the materials used were different, S54 was made from iron, while the M54 was aluminum. The X5/6 M engines have the same displacement and if I'm not mistaken the same redline as the regular V8TT's in the 750i and X6 5.0i, nothing special there.
Have you ever driven any of these "nothing special" vehicle? I doubt it because both engines you are commenting on are leaps and bound better than their past generations. The V8 in the ///M3 just wins engine of the year honors and is probably the best high rev on the planet that is not build by Ferrari.

Back on topic- I would not be surprised that new ///M5 sees a variation of the KERS system in some form, the main reason BMW went with an electrical system in F1 was so that the development could translate to a street vehicle. It would be part of the Efficient Dynamics branding, providing an afterburner effect of a boost button on the steering wheel. Much like the Power button drops/activates two cylinders currently this button would activate the electronic drive system for a quick burst of power for overtaking etc.

Some sources point to the exit from F1 as sign this system will not be fully developed for street use, but there is testing on-going in mules. Really what is going to make the final decision on these vehicle configurations is the Marketing department and focus groups... what best makes a BMW a BMW to the masses. The ///M5 is a low number car in the grand scheme and has a higher sticker price and appeals to a niche group of customers as well as serving as a "halo" of what a super sedan is.

The next year will be interesting on many levels; the F10 being just one of them. The X3 should begin to lose its camo very shortly and then the F10....