09-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
So if the car gets Stateside, do we have to arrange it with the dealer to have the car exterior properly cleaned, paint nicks and scratches fixed and if necessary have a new coat of paint? I am picking up my car at the performance center, will I need to contact them beforehand to do this? It would be great if I would not have to do anything during ED and just have everything done when the car gets to the U.S.
As for cleaning during ED I usually just bring some cleaning items with me and a few maintenance items (such as Zaino) to apply a quick coat for some basic protection.
But as has been said it's probably not worth going out of your way and do a full detail after you take delivery (if you want I can provide a name/address of a very good detailer appr 20 minutes from the Welt who can do a full vehicle prep/paint correction).
I've seen people cover the front ends of their cars with blue painters tape etc to protect it from stone chips.

Your dealer will usually do new vehicle prep based on either their standard protocol (which should including cleaning/washing etc) or if you're like me they won't touch the
car and leave it as is (ie the way it came from the VPC and I do the cleaning/washing myself) .
As for repairs the VPC will make repairs for damage which happened during ED , such as wheel scratches/nicks (usually replace the entire wheel), paint scratches/dents etc are repaired as noted etc. However be aware that sometimes these repairs will delay the actually delivery to your dealer/PC
I have not seen them actually repair minor stone chips or the like as these are assumed to be normal wear and tear (plus I'm not sure many folks would like entire hoods etc being painted and dealing with the issues of matching paint etc)

Just my 2c
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0