09-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1 View Post
So, he is infallible, incapable of human error? How many ring taxi crashes have been posted on this board in the past six weeks? Anytime one steps in a vehicle, lives are at stake, especially in a caustic racing environment such as the Ring. I don't care if he is Michael Schumacher, he had a blase driving demeanor with three young ladies in the car, whom were not wearing helmets while it was raining. Ask any racer, athlete, businessman, or high-achiever for that matter: complacency kills.
Sure, complacency kills. Agreed.

But he really isn't blase when driving closer to the limits. When he jokes around he drives at a slower pace (maybe not slow to you or me, but at a slow pace for someone with THAT much experience on the Ring in a M5). The way he is able to talk and explain different things at various parts of the track tells me that he really isn't driving at a pace that requires more from him than it would for me to drive around the ring in 15 minutes... When he's doing the more difficult stuff, the talking stops and he concentrates on the driving.

I have had taxi rides in two M5's, and the drivers have both done the same thing. I thought it was going fast, but the driver knew that we were far from the limits and he talked and joked. But shut up as we did the high speed corners etc, that required the drivers full attention. And that's when I realized that the car's and driver's limits where far beyond what I thought...

Not saying accidents can't happen. But to me, he only jokes around etc when the circumstances allow it.
Appreciate 0