View Single Post
      05-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #38
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
I still don't understand why this is even an issue. If you want throttle response I suggest setting everything either on Sports or Sports + and leave the suspension on comfort. The M5 is targeted towards different demographic than the 1, 2, 3, and 4 series and it has to reflect that. So comparing the M5 to a 1M or a 135 is apples and oranges. You can easily find the best driving modes by playing around with the DriveLogic/Sequencial. We have 3 programmable settings, Normal Start setting, M1 and M2. I find it hard to believe that you can't find a setting that suites your driving needs. I've had my car for a year and I can unleash its power at any given time. You probably driving the car all wrong!

Drive Logic Modes 1-3
1: Delay in shifts for smoothest (but slow) gear changes
2: No delay in shifts; fast gear changes
3: Fastest possible shifting speed.

You can choose D1-D3 or S1-S3
D = Drivelogic; shifts automatically
S = Sequential: manual shifts

-Efficient - comfortable. Minimal fuel consumption
-Sport - sporty, dynamic
-Sport Plus - spontaneous, direct. Maximum dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Default Comfort mode is ALMOST perfect for around town and smooth highway cruisin'. Everything relaxed, quiet, comfortable. Car pulls away from lights without any sudden jerks, slips smoothly from gear to gear, shifts quickly for good economy, smooths over surface irregularities, its quiet, the music system good, sunroof open....mmmmm, the ultimate wolf in very comfortable, relaxed fit sheep's clothing.

But just under the surface, there's a 560 horsepower 500 lb foot monster lurking, ready to spring into action.....except it isn't. Why not? I've actually no idea, because all it would take is a gentle, smooth, fuss free downshift, but to get that monster to wake up you've got to prod it hard with a very big stick...and by the time it wakes up, the moment's often past.

I know I could drive around in Sport and Sequential mode all day long, even when driving conditions don't call for it, but the only reason for doing so is that Comfort mode is flawed, and my point is, it doesn't need to be. The ONLY thing wrong with it is that once it gets itself into a high gear on a steady throttle, it refuses to downshift again when the throttle moves, making the car feel slow and unresponsive. In my opinion, slow and unresponsive should not be a part of an M5's repertoire. Its neither comfortable nor economical and spoils what is otherwise an extremely accomplished car. There are other cars in the BMW range that pull off this Comfort mode perfectly, so why not the M5, especially when its only a matter of some DCT coding?
Appreciate 0