View Single Post
      01-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Thanks for making me double check. Actually, the MCT has more weight on the rear wheels by 7 lbs. (4387*.475)-(4354*.477)=7lbs. So while the MT has slightly closer to 50/50 wt distribution, it is 7 lbs lighter in the rear. But again, 7 lbs is insignificant taking into account the the hundreds of pounds of weight transfer that occurs under hard acceleration.

Even though the MT has taller gearing, both cars can easily light up the rear tires off the line, so it still comes down to good traction and pedal modulation. You are right, the taller gearing should help a bit with this, but in the hands of equally skilled drivers, it doesn't really matter.
Bonz, the point I was trying to make by mentioning the 33 lb lighter weight of MT was "weight distribution" ... I'm not gonna go to the detail of calculation (and I know you know all details better than me), but basically the amount of force at rear wheel of M5 DCT (that causes the acceleration) is much more than M5 MT if both DCT and MT have the same drivetrain loss. As I mentioned before, the amount of torque at rear wheel of M5 DCT is about 20% more at first gear and 8% at second gear, 7.5% at third gear , etc. You are right about skilled drivers, but I don't think we are all skilled drivers (at least I don't claim I am ); so it should be more about the car and not the driver when I said in my first post that MT has better traction...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0