09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
My ED date was changed from Oct 12 to Oct 25. My CA called yesterday and informed me that German law requires all vehicles have winter tires fitted after Oct 15. He also said that the Welt has a "partner" that will rent wheels and winter tires for ED and then refit your factory wheels and tires at the drop off point. This was all the information I was provided. Anyone else here know of such laws/requirements and how that impacts ED? Anyone experience this in prior years with ED (assuming some may have experienced fall/winter ED with other models)?
From BMW USA website:

Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. From October 15th until April 15th, driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called 'M+S tires'). There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes. It is the responsibility of the car owner and driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. If you do not appropriately equip your vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during your drive, obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident as a result thereof, it is possible you may be cited for a violation of the law by the local authorities or be found to be grossly negligent according to the law.Other countries you may visit including Austria and Switzerland may also have similar laws. If the Police find that you are not equipped with the appropriate items when the weather conditions deem them necessary, and if the officer feels that other traffic participants have been endangered, they have the authority to fine a driver 20 Euros or in some cases significantly higher.

Please carefully review the options, packages, wheels and standard equipment of the vehicle you ordered with your Client Advisor. Depending on the model and packages you selected, the wheels and tires may change. You should ensure you have the proper tires and wheel for the climate in which you plan to drive.

Customers have the option to leave their vehicle at BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if they prefer not to drive. There will be a fee of 60Euro cash (no credit cards accepted), payable to the BMW Welt, for transportation of the vehicle from the Welt to the Munich drop off location.

The following website outlines a snow tire rental option and includes pricing and details of booking the tire rental in Germany. Please be advised that all cars must come back to Munich to have your original BMW tires put back on the car before shipment to the U.S.