View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

>alternatives offered by cheap, low quality piggy back controllers.

#shotsfired

seriously wouldn't throw stones until your product is on the same planet even...

and those 'cheap low quailty piggy back controllers' work WITH a flash tune even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Bronch I understand you skeptical about sending you ecu's in but no need to be dramatic. I can imagine a three to four day turnaround before your back on the road. So your saying you'd rather a piggy back tune that's harder on your engine but with a warranty then a true ecu flash that comes from a company like Ams?

At a 3k price tag this is a gift, we as f10 owners are luck iND got ams to work on the platform. Be positive and live a little.
harder on your engine?

come on, please don't confuse stupid people, boost is boost, AFR's are AFR's, timing is timing, etc. etc.

regardless of what you think of a piggyback, the companies that make them have a much stronger reputation than AMS for this platform.

besides, $3k is just 'M tax', RnD? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Its today's technological car world, a re flash of the ECU will always triumph over a piggy back unit. 99% of enthusiasts should agree here. In a small analogy. On my 328i e90, (rwd) I had "active autowerks" reflash the entire ECU, boosting power Almost 25hp from an NA engine mind you. NO intake, exhaust, turbos, etc. But the entire driving experience was different from that one reflash, something a piggy back can't do. By a long shot. I Applaud AMS and IND here. They are def on to something. One day I would like to see a tune as simple as APR for the Audi's, which is straight to the OBDII.
apples to oranges

most of the power gains with an NA motor is in timing as well as for these cars, VANOS, which a piggy doesn't have much/any control over

for boosted cars, the difference is a lot lower piggy:flash, considering most of the power comes from boost and AFR, VANOS effects spool more than power in an optimisation sense, and while yeah, more timing will give you more power with enough octane, you can easily max it out on 91, and even moderate E85 blends that will tax your fuel system anyway.

APR/Audi is totally different, whenever a new car comes out they can flash it pretty much straight away, since their communication system/ECU security hasn't changed in a decade lol

Last edited by flinchy; 01-19-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 1