View Single Post
      12-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #112
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I do have to agree about the sound. If you've spent a lot of time on the track, you know the turbo's 'whoosh' is not even in the same league as a high-revving n.a. engine.,. BMW has definitely taken some of the 'character' out of the car with the turbo though. In exchange you get a much more powerful and tractable engine, and a better luxury car, combined with even better handling and ride. It looks like we have an incredible combination of a race car and an executive luxury sedan.

I'm just not sold yet though. The sound is one of the most important characteristics of a car, and it's not as simple as just bolting on an aftermarket exhaust. Virtually all of them have some very irritating resonance points in the rpm range, and you get tired of the 'noise' after a while.

I'll wait for some further reviews, but at this point, I'm also considering the Panamera GTS. It has a n.a. engine (only 430 hp), but it's lighter, lower, stiffer sups. setting, has way better brakes, and they have a button that opens a channel in the A pillars to transmit engine/intake noise into the cabin, along with a valve in the exhaust that can be opened for 'sport' sound. A way better solution than BMW's 'simulated' FM sound. I'm guessing the PGTS won't be able to keep up with the M5 on the track or street, but could be a better drivers car, and more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0