View Single Post
      01-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Frozen colors are easy to maintain. I have owned frozen grey and frozen black.

My FG E60 M5 I had for 3 years. It was the first matte M in the US. There was no instruction on how to wash or detail it. I used only Swissvax products when it finally came to market. By the end of my lease the paint was in perfect shape.

FB is more difficult to maintain than FG, but not by much. I would choose FB, FW, or FG - if you are going to go the frozen paintwork route.

You should either detail your own car or have a good detailer do it for you. I personally do it myself.. I have all the tools to make it easy.

The first thing you need to do after delivery is drive home, prep and detail the paintwork. You can go the wax or sealant route - I have done both. I would recommend going the sealant route and using Nanolex Matte Professional Sealant and Nanolex Matte Shampoo to wash. However Swissvax everything else (paint cleaner, quick detailer, etc). Having a proper coat of sealant (lasts a long time) or wax (doesn't last nearly as long) makes maintenance 200% easier.

I wash my FB M5 about every 1.5-2 weeks. The sealant protects the paint, keeps the bugs off the front bumper.

If you don't garage your car and/or live where it snows/salt on the roads.. then you should either not get a frozen paint or have your car wrapped in a clear bra.

As far as day-to-day maintenance, I don't worry about bugs on the front bumper as it's sealed.. making the few that can stick to it not a problem. Bird crap is the only thing to really look out for.

Keep glossy agents away at all cost. Includes tire shine. Apply with towel or pad and wipe off (never spray it on or leave excess on to whisk onto the paintwork). Always make sure when you bring it to a dealership or anywhere, that they do not wash it. Once scratched always scratched.

So while frozen paintwork is easier to maintain than gloss paintwork, with frozen paint a mistake stays a mistake.. there is no rotary and compound option to fix anything. That is the trade off.
What are your thoughts on Frozen Silver? Dont see many supporters for it.... I think it looks really good.
Appreciate 0