View Single Post
      03-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906 View Post
If you go by just stats, you could make the argument that the S6 is a M5 competitor. However, there's much more to driving and owning a car than just stats. For example, the steering feel in the S6 is loose IMO compared to the M5. The interior in the S6 is nice if you want to feel like you are in upgraded VW CC or Passat. The free maintenance pkg (4yrs/50k miles) BMW includes in the price of the car is well worth it. Even though Audi has improved it's reliability, it still will cost the buyer a nice bit of change every time there is an issue. The list of non-stat related variables are numerous (AWD vs RWD; lag time; handling; ride feel; price; etc.) and probably outweigh raw stat numbers for most consumers. An S6 feels cheap to me and doesn't look anywhere near as professional, sexy and downright nasty as my M5. But hey, that's just my $0.02, but please don't use stats alone as a measure of whether two cars are in the same class...
THIRDED! If that's a word. :P

I've sat in an S6 and an S7 before and the steering wheel feels fake, the interior materials are not near the quality of luxury as the M5's, and the amount of extra stuff you get with an S isn't comparable to that of the M5. S's and RS's are much more understated than BMW ///M's in my opinion, which can be a good thing if that is what you are looking for, but it's just not for me. The F10 Chassis is understated enough as it is with its soft body lines and such, I couldn't handle driving an S around that looks just like a base model A6 to the untrained eye. Not that I like the chome that is all over the M5 or anything but at least it looks different enough to the untrained eye.

Also consider if the S6 did not have all wheel drive. How would the performance on paper look then? Probably a lot worse. Additionally from what I've seen Audi hasn't made drastic improvements in other areas that have plagued previous S6 and RS6 models. One being placement of the engine so high and so forward in the chassis. Even the newest RS5 still suffers from bad understeer due to these things. Have you ever driven the previous generation Audi RS6? It handled like shiite compared to the E60 M5. I'll never believe that an S6 can outhandle a rear wheel drive F10 M5. One more thing, you could probably throw a simple Dinan Stage 2 Tune on a F10 550xi and it will be faster than an S6. We haven't even seen the performance numbers of the new upcoming 2014 LCI F10 550xi which will come with 45hp more horsepower stock. Come on Peter Pan, Count Chocula! We've seen a million Audi S cars and we've rocked them all! (Bonus points for those who can guess the movie!)

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-13-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0