04-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dude, sorry I just noticed that I spelled your Bimmerpost name wrong throughout the write-up. Lol!
HAHA Dave. I am used to people slaughtering my name, so it is almost 2nd nature now when I see it misspelled, be it handle or full name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
Great writeup. Thanks. However, the track at Spartanburg is pretty tight and not that big, so that is why I suspect you came to the conclusion that the M3 was a better track car than the M6. However, I believe that at a track that is not as tight, and longer, the M6 would shine much more, easily outrun the M3, and you would see a greater difference between the M5 and the M6 -- weighs less, and much better aerodynamics.

I have driven both the E92 M3 and F13 M6 (previously owned an E46 M3, now own a F13 M6, and drove a F10 M5 180 mph on the autobahn and raced it at Limerock), and to drive the M6 fast one has to manhandle it bit more, and be prepared to feel like you are driving more on the edge. I was at Limerock in October (where they did not have M6's, only M3's, M5's and 1 Series M's), but in an F10 M5 I was easily catching the E92 M3's.
I'd agree with this too, as the extra TQ really helps out on any section of track that has some length or the option for a quick run-up to a higher speed. But there is a two-fold problem with the M6: 1) The need to haul in the extra 500lbs during braking and 2) dealing with the additional weight in some corners where it is working against you. Was evident at M School, as well as at Ascari in Spain, which is much larger than Spartanburg. We drove the M5 and the M3 there and the former had its share of weight-related issues. Again, once putting power down the bigger car was fantastic but keeping speed through some corners was WAY more difficult vs. the M3.

I think one of the instructors said, and I am paraphrasing - the M3 just fits like a well made suit. I totally agree with this...just instills confidence and is, IMO more fun to drive on the track.

Any way you slice it though, for how big the M5/6 are they really do handle pretty damn well. And are a hoot to drive!
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0