05-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #79
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well I think that the aluminum color in general clashes with Sakhir since silver and red/orange are both very catchy and bold colors, but together I think they're like two people shouting at the same time. Plus then you have that silver strip running along the bottom of the trim, which IMHO both further clashes with the red AND doesn't match the aluminum's color or texture, and on top of everything else if you find a close-up shot of the aluminum trim, you'll notice that it's got narrow vertical lines running in it, as opposed to the M3's aluminum trim which is just a block of brushed aluminum. I just think it's too many differently shaped lines and poorly matching colors thrown into too small an area. The only way I'd get aluminum would be if I were getting either a black interior or Extended leather which would make the lower dashboard black, and then I'd probably be able to make my peace with the mismatch between the silver strip and the aluminum. But if the lower dash will be ANY other color, Piano Black all the way for me. Granted I haven't seen the M5's aluminum in person (I will tomorrow though, so I can report back if desired), but from what I've seen in pics I just don't like it much at all.
Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful response. Let me know if you change your mind about the aluminum trim after you see it in person. I saw it at the New York Auto Show and was surprised how much better it looked in person than in the photographs.
Appreciate 0