02-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
We had the opportunity to install the Gruppe M ram air intake on this Singapore Gray M5 so I snapped some photos of the finished product. Enjoy.
Great pictures, and I especially like the transparent hood effect. When the Gruppe M intake first came out I was skeptical that it would provide any HP increase over the stock intake. As I remember from reading the first posts of the Gruppe M install from both pro and owner installations, and I could be mistaken, nobody happened to mention the apparently very restrictive charcoal filter that is also in the stock intake tract. There were pictures of the normal air filter, but not a word about the presence of the charcoal filter. For you professional types, when you first opened the air-box, wasn't that an AHA! moment? Did anyone think to test the stock intake on the dyno, first with the charcoal filter in and then removed? Is it possible that any HP increase from the Gruppe M intake is totally due to the elimination of that charcoal filter? Or, is everyone who buys or installs/sells this intake determined to show at least some HP increase from the $3,500 cosmetic addition in the engine compartment so they can somehow justify the expense?
Appreciate 0