View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Great pictures, and I especially like the transparent hood effect. When the Gruppe M intake first came out I was skeptical that it would provide any HP increase over the stock intake. As I remember from reading the first posts of the Gruppe M install from both pro and owner installations, and I could be mistaken, nobody happened to mention the apparently very restrictive charcoal filter that is also in the stock intake tract. There were pictures of the normal air filter, but not a word about the presence of the charcoal filter. For you professional types, when you first opened the air-box, wasn't that an AHA! moment? Did anyone think to test the stock intake on the dyno, first with the charcoal filter in and then removed? Is it possible that any HP increase from the Gruppe M intake is totally due to the elimination of that charcoal filter? Or, is everyone who buys or installs/sells this intake determined to show at least some HP increase from the $3,500 cosmetic addition in the engine compartment so they can somehow justify the expense?
I'm gonna jump back in on this as well. What Used2Be is talking about here makes a lot of sense now that we are seeing some independent dyno's on only the removal of the charcoal filters. Funny how no-one seemed to speak up after Used2Be's comments. So far we've gotten a +15hp(Fly M5) and +11hp(M5ccibro) compared to an +11hp gain from the Gruppe M Intake independent dyno run, seems to me these numbers are a little too close for comfort. A long time ago I saw some dyno from Gruppe M themselves claiming around +25hp gain when they first introduced their intake system. At that time, I personally did not believe it. I tend not to put any stock unless I see multiple users get the same results. I'm not saying that the Gruppe M intake system is a bad thing, because I surely love the way it looks, I'm just saying that there are too many inconsistencies to back up their horsepower claims.

Appreciate 0