03-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I will not track again with PSS. They got eaten up quickly. Some was probably due to track heat and tire heat (pressures ran high for a run on day 2), but traction was also limited by these tires.

I'll probably get some aftermarket wheels for the road, and wrap the stocks in Yokohama slicks for track days.
Glad you had fun. The general consensus is that road course driving is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Re:track tyres. DOT R tyres should really be used by highly experienced track drivers as their limits are much higher than even an UHP street tyre, and the break away characteristics are very different. I would advise playing with the pressures on the PSS tyres before you move onto something with higher limits. Granted, chunking an expensive street tyre isn't optimal, but neither is throwing the car off the road since a "slick" gave no warning of impending loss of traction. Also, finding 20" DOT R tyres will damn near be impossible in the sizes for the OEM 20"s. That's why I have a set of the OEM 19" wheels which I'm currently using as my winters with Pirelli Sottozeros, and will then place some Hoosier R6's on for track season.
Bish
Appreciate 0