05-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Fellow 6MT drivers…lurching, shifter, and clutch

A few questions for my fellow 6MT drivers:

1) Do you find the clutch engagement point to high? Maybe I need to practice not suppressing the pedal as much but it just seems like a very long clutch that that I almost have to fully travel each shift. What can I do about this?

2) Have anyone tried the UCC short shifter yet? I have mine sitting in a box and was going to have it installed this week. A more ridge shorter throw is always welcome even though I find the stock one quite nice.

3) On deceleration in 1st or 2nd gear there is the very annoying lurching and hesitation as the turbo charges unspool. You can drive "around it" or clutch out of the gear but for some reason in DCT its not nearly as apparent. I think M engineers have compensated for this in the DCT design - disengaging ever so slightly to reduce the connection between the drive train and engines less then gradual deceleration. Outside of compensating for this .. any ideas?

My dilemma this week was to either take the offer of selling the M5 ($83k Canadian) or invest the 10k I need to mod it. It needs an exhaust, short shifter, and some IND parts which I will be ordering up soon. Never thought I would say this but there is really nothing on the market that I can afford (maybe a PGTS) that even comes close to this beast. As per what I want that I can't afford - would love to replace this car with an FF one day