09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Right you are. I was assuming 'electric power steering' meant the same thing that it does on our race cars. What a ridiculous system. I don't understand why BMW can't quit messing around with 'automating' the steering. The 'active' steering system on the E60 5-series was an absolute disaster. My 545i was pretty much undrivable on the track. I'm glad the M people have retained their senses.
Thanks for your response, we were obviously talking about different electric steering systems. I think BMW have overdone the green eco friendly bit to the detriment of their trademark pin-point handling and it leaves hardcore BMW fans like me wondering as to the future of this iconic brand.
It's interesting to note that the M5 steering specs appear to different depending on where you intend buying the car - last time I checked BMW Germany stated "M Servotronic steering" (no reference to electric or hydraulic), BMW UK clearly state that it's "Electric Power Steering (EPS) with M Servotronic" and BMW USA, which previously declared that the it would have hydraulic steering, suddenly and mysteriously no longer lists the M5 specs.
It would appear that, to say the least, there's currently a considerable degree of confusion.
Appreciate 0