View Single Post
      06-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

there isn't a set date for snow tires in germany. its when the average temperature is freezing. also if the temperature is freezing and you have an accident on summer tires its automatically your fault. with germany, unpredictable is the norm. I have driven on the Nurburgring in middle of January and it was in the low 50's. the year before there was snow on the ground well through April. Every year i go out on the last weekend in November to the ring and for past 3 years its dry and sunny. it could very well snow in October however.

my best advice is if you aren't picking up before October 1st have a backup plan in case you have to drive through some snow on the way out of BMW Welt. You can rent snow tires. probably your best and safest route if picking up in October and its freezing. remember if you want to drive to a warmer climate there is this thing called the alps in the way unless you plan on going around them and down through france/spain.