09-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #18
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Yeah this question can come off very tacky but the only reason I'm asking is to self motivate. I'm sure I can afford a M5 if I wanted. But I want to earn it, I want to deserve it. I just don't want to be over my 20% that is suppose to go in cars according to the Financial experts.

Current car: 2012 F10 Msport.

Comments will be really appreciated.
So to the OP...

Other things you can consider as relevant questions:

Do you have any kids? (or plan to have kids in the near term)
Does your wife also work?
Does your wife 'support' (financially and emotionally) your car enthusiast spending?
And are you prepared to also support her car enthusiast streak?

In my case, the answer is 0, Yes, Yes, Yes.

At that point, I look at my lifestyle where the majority of my daily 'personal' entertainment comes between the home and office. And while there is traffic, there are moments (precious moments) where you can have a little fun. But only if you drove the M5 that day.

For me the M5 is my primary vehicle and my daily driver. I have no regrets about that. Is it my only vehicle? No, the wife has her convertible, we have a work truck, and a classic truck. But, when left to my own devices, the one I grab the keys for (even if not going to work) is usually the M5.

I can't easily put a price on that, but BMW and the bank has. It is 1200/month. If I wasn't spending it on this, I would be spending it on something else (or saving it to spend on something else). So I choose to spend it on this!
Appreciate 0