View Single Post
      05-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
So is BMW saying the car is "suffering" explicitly because the car lacks AWD?
Im not so sure thats the case quite frankly. I don't think people are running to buy the e63 because its awd but i believe in general, the competition is catching up to the m5. I think there have been some marketing mistakes with the car and I will tell you my opinion.
1) Product rollout took too long. I know BMW goes through extensive testing on all M products but the f10 M5 rollout in the US took too long from the stop of production of the e60. I think bmw m(if they want to stay sales focused) will need a faster M product rollout going forward with the M5/m6 series similar to AMG. I was losing interest waiting and it it caused me to buy something else following my m6 lease termination while i waited for the m5.
2)Executive package --very mercede-like optioning now and Im not nuts about it. Its almost as though BMW is developing a car for targeted price point rather than just developing an M car. you can opt not to get the executive package, but it bothered me I could not select my individual options such as soft close doors without sun shades. the active seat misnomer on the 2013s bothered me I think this ties in with bmw trying to raise pricing and compete with mercedes. The AMG buyer is a different buyer and I think the f10 m5 was made to attract the AMG buyer. I think the m5 the best car in the world, but as one women pointed out to me when seeing the m5 she said, "Thats a $100k car?". as we all know its worth every penny, but the m5 has gone too far from 1991 m5 with no cup holders, traction and vanos to its current status. Bmw execs were astonished when the press complained about no cupholders in the 1991 m5--they couldnt comprehend why you would need a cupholder with a m5. Personally, I enjoy the luxury side of the f10, but it became too much of a 7series and too little the race car.
3) Lease programs at rollout were terrible. Residuals were way too low yet now almost two years later the car has appropriate residual valuation.

Thats my two cents.
Your 2 cents is right on the money.

1) Your absolutely right, product rollout did take too long. They delayed it for the U.S. Market because of the iDrive updates. Meanwhile the M6 didn't even get the iDrive update for the 2013 Model Year, then again, there was no 2013 M6 Coupe Model Year, only the F12 M6 Convertable for 2012.

2) Yup Executive Package did sour a lot of customers, who I'm sure would have just wanted Comfort Access and Heads Up Display out of the whole package. Very Mercedes indeed. I am still disappointed about 2 things, obviously no Adjustable Side Bolsters and no Option for Comfort Seats like the E60 M5 had. At least they corrected one of those for the 2014 model year.

3) They knew the 2013 residual values would be crap because of their future product rollouts, i.e. Competition Package and Carbon Ceramic Brakes, as well as new standard colors for the F10 M5. ///Marketing at it's finest. The residuals for the M5's are fantastic these days now. It's the reason why I decided not to Lease when I got my 2013 M5. Luckily the horrible residual values of the 2013's aren't hurting me too bad since I got mine at ED Invoice.

Luckily the rollout for the new F80 M3 and F82 M4 has been much much better. I think they knew that their biggest market, the United States, would have been in an uproar if they would have had to wait until the 2016 model year M3/M4 we're out in order to have one here in the states. I'm hoping the next generation M5/M6 will have a much faster rollout as well.

At this point, all I/we can do is guess what the next M5 will bring to the table. I know that it will be much lighter, possibly offer AWD, and will be more powerful, somehow, oh and that it WILL have EPS as well. Afterall, I would have to say that the number one complaint about the F10 generation of M5 is difficulty of getting traction and then weight. They'll correct both of those in the next M5 I'm sure of it. I just really hope it doesn't get bigger. I just can't do bigger, especially if I'm still single by then.

Appreciate 0