View Single Post
      02-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #34
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
And it's the thought of no manual and it's lack of connection to the driving experience that's of such concern to you? Have you forgot about the fact it's got electronic steering and weighs 2 ton which are kind of more important to feeling connected and involving than anything else. Accept that this car isn't a sportscar and then all other issues melt away ..... well apart from the fact that it might have issues getting all the power to the ground efficiently.
Just because it has 4 doors, doesn't mean it is not a "sports" car. At what point is it a sports car? I would think most would believe that 500hp+ would qualify! So I don't really know what your definition of sports car is, but I highly doubt the M5 is aimed at aunt Martha who is 84 yrs old and is used to driving her 1986 Buick (which also has 4 doors and is an automatic).

The M5 does NOT weigh 2 tons. In either case, what mass produced cars don't weigh between 3500-4200 pounds nowadays? Also, regardless of the tech in the car, a seasoned driver definitely notices weight differences...that's pretty basic. And that has nothing to do with auto vs manual so I'm not really sure how your point is relevant.

Every car has some element of assisted steering. That has nothing to do with the engine or transmission. So again, I don't see how your point is irrelevant.

Am I the only person on this thread that appreciates the subtle (and blatant) differences between a manual and automatic? It appears so. If this thread is a microcosm of 5 series and M5 buyers, BMW must have made the right choice in not offering a manual option! I am shocked though.
Appreciate 0