View Single Post
      09-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #103
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
How will we know when our cars clear customs? What are the next steps we should see in this process?
I just spoke to my CA, who had a conversation with the dealership's service manager earlier today. Here's what I learned:

1. Any cars on ships right now that arrive at the port will be held at the port for the recall work to be performed. This is different than what BMW NA told me on Friday when they called. Two reasons why I believe this is good news: (i) the cars (at least at the VPC in NY) will be stored indoors in the VPC warehouse (my CA confirmed this fact), and (ii) it would make sense to me (although this is not a confirmed fact) that the first available batch pumps would go to those locations where there are a concentration of cars that could be repaired quickly.

2. My dealer said they do not get notification when the car clears customs. The only notification they receive is when the car clears the VPC and is "placed on the trucking pad" for pick-up by the trucking company. Once it is "placed on the trucking pad" it must be retrieved by the trucking company within 48 hours.

3. The service manager at my dealership said he was told the replacement pumps for customer vehicles will be available "within two weeks" based on a conversation he had this morning with BMW. Since the Toronto hits port tomorrow and it normally takes a week for cars get to the dealer once off-loaded (i.e., clear customs and the VPC, get loaded on a truck and delivered), then we are hopefully only looking at a week or less delay in the delivery of our cars.

4. My CA was told BMW will cover the cost of a rental car from Enterprise (gee, thanks!). I pointed out that a Nissan Altima or Toyota Corolla is not really an acceptable replacement for an M5. I also advised him that I sent an email to BMW USA about the need to provide a credit on my lease while my M5 is out of service. He's heard nothing about if/how BMW plans to handle compensation.

That's all from today's conversation. Will advise when/if I hear any additional details.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0