Kinder
Private
France
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 / Stolen&burned down :(

Ok, to stop the steering wheel debate :

Quote from : http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._m5/index.html

Quote:
First thing's first: the M5 uses a hydraulic steering rack. No fancy active steering, and no electric assist. What does that mean? Well, driving down the cobblestone driveway of our Spanish hotel, I let out a big "it's alliiiiiiiiive!" Steering feel, even at 10 mph, is alive and well in the M5 - which is in distinct contrast to the rest of the 5-series lineup. BMW, I don't care about the 0.001 mpg saved by switching to electric power assist: clearly, this is the right solution. Bring back hydraulic steering on all 5- and 7-series, please.

Better yet, the steering is adjustable to three levels of weight: Comfort, which feels like a normal M product, Sport which is slightly heavier than, say, an M3, and is just plain perfect, and Sport Plus, which makes the steering wheel feel like it's attached to a bowl of split pea soup. It's way too heavy, and I say this not because I'm a weakling, but because the effort is so high but the self-centering tendency isn't: let go of the wheel around a corner and the car keeps turning. It feels unnatural.
Appreciate 0