12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
If so, you are setting yourself up for failure and safety issues by doing it the way you asked. If Im wrong, then forgive me. I cant answer the question if the finned area is strong enough to hold up, I just want you to to it properly. Again no disrespect and best wishes.
I've spent decades under cars but always use jack stands for secure support. Certainly not as nice as being able to stand up while working under the car, but I still enjoy the challenge of doing things myself. Both exhaust and springs are on my list, but with the recent mention of possible damage to that lower, downward facing radiator I might reconsider the springs......? But the car does look better with just that slight drop. I've already scraped the black plastic surround of that radiator just coming over a slight rise onto the street while turning, and at slow speed, so it has me thinking.

Thanks for your advice though, and of course no one should ever be under a car with just the hydraulic jack supporting it! I guess there aren't too many home mechanics working on their own M5s on this site. I'll take a closer look at the undercarriage when I have my 1200 mile service done at the dealer to learn more about where to lift.
Appreciate 0