07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #57
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFerrari View Post
Amongst automotive purists in Japan, their preference is for European vehicles to be ideally in the same configuration as found in a given car's respective country of origin (i.e. RHD for an Aston Martin, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce or Bentley, but LHD for a Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.).

However, the reality is that lower end BMWs (i.e. 3er and 5er), and lower end Mercedes-Benzes (i.e. C-Class, E-Class) get spec'd as RHD by the official Japanese Importing arms (BMW Japan & Mercedes-Benz Japan, etc.). However, the more prestigious high-end variants (i.e. S-Class, CL-Class, AMG, M) tend to be configured in in more 'exotic'/'authentic' LHD form. In the case of Porsche, the client can order a given model in RHD or LHD. I've seen both LHD and RHD Cayennes, Boxsters and Caymans in Japan. Typically, the Panameras and Turbos I've seen have been LHD.
You sir know your stuff right! another point is, some of the very high-end cars in Japan don't even come in RHD because of such a small volume it fills.(such as 911 GT3) Also if you drive very low end LHD cars such as 320i you're usually seen as poser.
Appreciate 0