View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #80
ozboygb
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
First, does the current and previous non-manual transmissions (SMG/DCT) auto-shift like the steptronics, or does it bounce off the rev limiter like a manual transmission when you don't shift gears? I've never driven an M car and refuse to do so until I can actually buy one. To me it would be like someone else spotting you a first class plane ticket for a one-time trip. Every flight thereafter in coach would just suck even more.

If the SMG/DCT bounce off the rev limiter like a manual, I really don't see what the fuss is about. You still are technically shifting with your hands and have complete control of what gear you are in. You only lose a third pedal and the ability to mis-shift. I can't imagine many people what the ability to do a 1-4 up shift or worse, a 5-2 down shift. Dropping the hammer at a high RPM? See Launch control which can get consistently faster times than any human. From a technology perspective, you get better gas mileage from the 7SP DCT than the 6SPD MT and by BMW no longer investing money in R&D on how to get a manual to fit and clutch placement, they can focus those resources on better performance or better pricing, which is a win all around.

If these transmissions don't bounce off the redline and auto-shift, then forget I said anything...
I agree 100%

I have had M5's since 1993 (5 of them and have the F10 due to be delievered to L:A in September) and was dubious when the E60 was only offered in SMG.

Yes it is a "pig" in auto but if you drive it like a manual (yes, you can bounce it off the rev limiter) it is just as if not more satisfying than the manual. On the twisty bits it feels every bit as chuckable and and more controlable as a manual and overall the car felt smaller than my E59

I also have moved from manual 911 to PDK and again drive it like a manual - same thing - faster shifts, goes all the way to the redline and a fantastic drive

Can't wait for the DCT F10
Appreciate 0