06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
You clearly misunderstood me then. I didn't mean to say you had said that, but that what you said amounts to this. Because if the M5 isn't able to withstand the prolonged heat that the engine produces while driving at full power (all 560HP) on the Autobahn, or while going up an Alpine pass in Europe, then it wouldn't cope with track use either (not racing).
Here is what I originally wrote, one more time and it doesn't amount to what you inferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Of course this is also why you will wear out your car quickly by tracking it. Same thing happens in the engine. All of the moving components are affected similarly and the energy is mostly dissipated as heat. This is also why you shouldn't really race a stock car. It's not built or designed to handle the kinds of prolonged heat that the constant changing from high to low speed on a track will produce.

I know people do it but I also think they do it with a second car, not their regular car. Right?

1.) The car will wear out quickly by tracking it.

The statement implies continuation of the action, not a single event.

I thought I expanded on the idea when I said you shouldn't race a stock car and then made clear the issue was prolonged heat in a race.

I think you are implying that running the car for prolonged periods at it's operational extremes isn't a problem and that it's normal. I disagree. When you have an operational extreme, it is an extreme. The high end of the tach isn't the place for the engine to be operating on a regular basis. If you are an automotive engineer you know this and you know that reliability suffers as a result. This is what I was suggesting and I think I made that pretty clear in my subsequent posts. I even gave good physics based explanations for the laymen on the thread. You somehow still didn't catch my drift but that doesn't mean I didn't communicate clearly because at least one other poster did understand my statement.

I even clarified my statement with the suggestion/question that most people would use a second car for tracking, not their everyday car. I sure didn't spend $100k on my car to ruin it by running it too hard. I enjoy accelerating hard and driving it at high speed but I will be careful with it. This car generates tremendous heat just driving around town, way more than my 535 did.

I am not sure what your point to other owners is. If it's that you can run your car on the track without worry because BMW designed it for that, then I would suggest you are misleading them.

I am sure you can take your car out to the track and run it hard for a few laps. I don't know what a typical tracking experience amounts to but more than a few laps is inadvisable, at least in the way these people that post videos are running their cars. If you do it repeatedly, expect a major engine failure or transmission failure or both at some point. It's not like these cars have a very high reliability rating anyway. This stuff just makes it worse.
Appreciate 0